Prep 0 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I love traditional recipes and this one comes from the north east of England, and definitely comes under the cover of slow cooking, but it is sooo worth it ,timing does not include overnight soaking. Using ham on the bone allows the natural gelatine to be released which helps with the peas pudding plus any meat cooked on the bone has more flavour
- Soak the ham and peas separately overnight.
- Drain and add to large saucepan with onions and enough cold water to cover.
- Simmer gently for 2 hours, ( the peas will become a puree,,,that’s meant to happen).
- Remove the ham and allow to cool.
- Add the egg butter and seasoning to the peas and mix well.
- Pour into a greased pudding bowl.
- Using a steamer or a half filled pan of boiling water with a well-fitting lid, steam for 1 hour.
- Serve warm with slices of cold ham.