Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 mins
Traditional Newfoundland side dish. This recipe came from the package for an authentic Newfoundland pudding bag. When I was a kid my grandmother made this with Sunday dinner and the taste brings back good childhood memories. note: prep and cook time does not include soaking overnight
- Wash peas, soak in water overnight, then rinse.
- Place peas in pudding bag (can use thin towel or cloth).
- Tie bag - allowing room for expansion
- Cook in salted water for approximately 2 hours.
- Remove bag from pot and squeeze out excess water
- Remove peas from bag and mash with butter, salt and pepper.
- You can press the mixture into a curved cereal bowl, then turn over and tap the bottom to remove. This will give the pease pudding a nice domed shape.