1/1 Photo of Peasants’ Tomato Pie
Elly in Canada's Note:
The "pie" is made with fresh tomatoes and cheese layered on mustard-brushed phyllo pastry, drizzled with a mixture of oil and herbs, then baked until golden. It’s delicious and easy to make!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 sheets phyllo pastry, thawed
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup Dijon mustard
- 3 ounces mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 3 ounces Fontina cheese, thinly sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, freshly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, freshly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, freshly chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Note: remember to keep the phyllo pastry covered with a damp towel when not using as it dries and becomes brittle in minutes.
- 3Cut the sheets of phyllo in half cross-wise.
- 4Working with half a sheet of phyllo at a time, brush one half with melted butter, then one with mustard and repeat until all layers are used and piled roughly on top of one another.
- 5Gently place the layered phyllo sheets on a cookie pan and fold any rough edges under.
- 6Layer the cheeses on the phyllo base, then layer the tomatoes on, overlapping them slightly.
- 7Mix the oil, garlic and herbs in a small bowl then drizzle over the pie.
- 8Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until golden.
- 9For a different pie try a few of your own additions such as thinly sliced mushrooms, sun-dried tomato slivers or even anchovies, and other favourite cheeses!
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Peasants’ Tomato Pie
Serving Size: 1 (163 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 378.7
- Calories from Fat 281
- Total Fat 31.3 g
- Saturated Fat 15.3 g
- Cholesterol 71.9 mg
- Sodium 691.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 12.8 g