Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 2 lbs potatoes, pared and quartered
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 3 cups coarsely chopped green cabbage
- 1 large leek, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup hot milk
- 2 tablespoons green hot pepper sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- Place potatoes in 3-quart saucepan with water to cover.
- Bring to boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat; simmer until tender, 20 to 25 minutes, drain.
- While potatoes are cooking, cook bacon in 12-inch skillet over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally.
- With slotted spoon, remove bacon to plate.
- Cook cabbage and leek in drippings remaining in skillet over medium heat until tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Mash potatoes until smooth.
- Gradually add hot milk; beat until fluffy.
- Stir in green pepper sauce and salt.
- Add cabbage, leek and bacon; mix in well.
I made this recipe a long time ago, having printed it soon after it was published. I made the dish in accordance with the recipe and noted that we enjoyed it. It appears to be a kind of colcannon, tasty and good.