Recipe by Miss Annie
This is a common meal enjoyed in Greece. It's incredibly delicious, and while it's cooking, the smell will have everyone in the house hanging around the kitchen. I find that the chicken stays moist if it is covered for the the first 20 minutes of baking. Serve with a crisp salad and crusty bread or pita.
Top Review by Bergy
Loved this recipe - It reminded me of Oreste's (a restaurant in Vancover) and their excellent chicken. The potatoes have great flavor from the garlic, chicken, lemon & oregano. I used tiny nugget potatoes right from the garden. Just one caution don't overcook your chicken - if it gets done ahead of the potatoes remove and seal in foil then return to oven in the baking dish 10 minutes before serving. Thanks Miss Annie great flavor, simple and the aroma MMMmm It'll be repeated!
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 4 -5 potatoes, peeled and sliced french-fry style
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2-1 cup water
- 1 head garlic, the cloves peeled but whole
- 4 tablespoons oregano, dried
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken in a shallow baking dish.
- Arrange potatoes and garlic around chicken.
- Mix together lemon juice and olive oil, salt and pepper, and pour evenly over chicken and potatoes.
- Add just enough water until potatoes are almost about covered.
- Cover chicken and pototoes with 2 Tbsps. of oregano.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350ºF. for 20 minutes.
- Uncover, turn chicken; stir potatoes; and sprinkle on remaining oregano.
- If potatoes aren't at least half-covered with liquid, add more water.
- Return to oven for about 25-30 minutes.
- Chicken is done when both sides are lightly browned and potatoes are soft.
- Good served with crisp bread or pita.