Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Found the basic recipe in Cooking Light Magazine - I changed some spices and added more juice (with the broth and wine). It sounded like a great way to use up some chicken thighs I got for a steal at the grocery store and it being colder out now, this turned out FANTASTIC!!! My family loved it, and my hubby is VERY picky, he had seconds (which is okay, because it is low cal and good for you).
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 skinless chicken thighs (about 3/4 pounds)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup green peppers or 1 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes, with cilantro, undrained
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can fat free chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup white wine, a good one you drink
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- shredded cheese (mexican blend works best)
- Combine chili powder, garlic powder, Kosher salt, and pepper; sprinkle over chicken.
- Place chicken in an electric slow cooker.
- Stir in onion, tomatoes, broth and wine.
- Cover with lid; cook on high-heat setting for 3 hours.
- Stir in beans.
- Cover; cook on high-heat setting 1 hour.
- Place 1/3 cup brown rice in each of 3 soup bowls.
- Next, place 1 chicken thigh on top of brown rice in each soup bowl;
- Ladle 1 1/4 cups stew into each bowl.
- Top each serving with 2-3 Tablespoons shredded mexican blend cheese & 2 teaspoons cilantro and 2 teaspoons sour cream.