This recipe is the most like Olga's Peasant Soup because it is made with lamb and barley.
Make and share this Peasant Soup (Like Olga's) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 small zucchini, diced
- 10 ounces frozen mixed vegetables (peas, carrots, beans, corn)
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Greek oregano
- 1⁄4 cup dried parsley
- salt and pepper
- In a large pot, brown lamb, onion and celery only until lamb is no longer pink.
- Drain off fat.
- Add tomatoes, garlic, bay leaf and broth.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add Quick barley, zucchini, frozen vegetables, thyme, oregano, and parsley.
- Then reduce to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with toasted pita bread triangles.