1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 15 mins
This is an adaptation from Quick Vegetarian Pleasures. Delicious served as a side to lamb but great with just about any meat. We love to serve this to company because, not only is it delectable, it makes your house smell mouth watering when they arrive! Edited to add: I edited the recipe to use red potatoes as that is what I always use. It has never turned out gummy with reds. Sorry about the reviewers experience. Try it again; it is great!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 medium red potatoes, unpeeled, very thinly sliced (2 lbs)
- 3 large onions, halved and very thinly sliced (I usually get tired of slicing and use 1 or 2 onions)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup romano cheese, freshly grated or 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2Combine potatoes, onion, garlic and tomatoes.
- 3Beat the tomato paste, olive oil, water, oregano, and salt and pepper together.
- 4Pour over vegetables and toss well to coat.
- 5Spread in a large, greased, shallow baking dish (like a large lasagna pan). The secret is to not have the vegetables too deep in the pan.
- 6Cover with aluminum foil and bake 30 minutes.
- 7Uncover and bake 45 more minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- 8Sprinkle cheese over top the last 20 minutes of baking.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Peasant Potato Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (345 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 348.7
- Calories from Fat 131
- Total Fat 14.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 7.3 mg
- Sodium 220.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 10.8 g
- Protein 8.8 g