Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
My version of Rachael Ray's recipe.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- ground black pepper
- 1 cup frozen green pea
- 24 leaves fresh basil, roughly torn
- 1 lb whole wheat penne, cooked to al dente
- Heat a large, deep skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the extra-virgin olive oil and then the sausage meat.
- Crumble the meat as it browns.
- Add the chopped garlic to the pan.
- When all of the meat has browned evenly, deglaze the pan drippings with the chicken broth.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes and bring the sauce to the bubble, then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Stir in the cream.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the peas and basil to combine.
- Toss the hot, drained pasta in the pan with the sauce, then transfer to a serving bowl.
- Serve sprinkled with parmesan cheese.