Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream (or half-and-half)
- 1⁄2 lb penne rigate, cooked until al dente
- In a large pot, brown/crumble sausage; drain sausage in colander.
- Wipe out pot and return to heat; add crumbled sausage back to pot, with tomatoes.
- Bring to a bubble and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add peas; cook 1minute; stir in cream, to blush the color of the sauce.
- Simmer until the pasta is ready to drain; adjust seasoning w/ salt and pepper.
- Toss 2/3 of the sauce with the pasta and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Top with the remaining sauce and serve with grated cheese, crusty bread and wine.
Ahhh, a 5 ingredient masterpiece (with no garlic or onion mincing) after a full day of Christmas shopping! This was soooo good! We loved every bite...I had no penne, so I used farfalle. We found liberal amounts of fresh cracked pepper and Italian flat-leaf parsley on top of this worked out great. Bravo, and we will most certainly turn to this winning recipe again. Thanks!