1/2 Photos of Peasant Girls in the Mist - Scandinavian Apple and Cream Pudding
French Tart's Note:
This very old-fashioned, traditional Scandinavian recipe, which is claimed by both Denmark and Norway! Wherever it came from originally, it does not alter the fact that this is a delicious apple, nut and cream layered dessert, which looks very pretty, served in individual glasses. If you can get hold of rye bread to make your breadcrumbs, it will be all the more authentic.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large cooking apples, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 1/2 ounces unsalted butter
- 3 ounces rye breadcrumbs or 3 ounces brown breadcrumbs
- 2 ounces soft brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 pint whipping cream or 1/2 pint creme fraiche
- 4 tablespoons icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons toasted hazelnuts, very finely chopped
- 1Put the cubed and peeled apple chunks into a large saucepan with the caster sugar and 2 to 3 tablespoons water.
- 2Cook them over a gentle heat until they are completely tender - stirring them every so often to mash them down.
- 3Put them into a bowl to cool.
- 4Melt the butter in a frying pan and add the breadcrumbs and brown sugar.
- 5Saute, stirring constantly over a medium heat until the breadcrumbs are golden brown.
- 6Add the cinnamon and stir well.
- 7Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- 8Whip the cream and add the icing sugar & lemon juice.(Or add the icing sugar & lemon juice to the creme fraiche.).
- 9Take a large glass bowl or 4 individual glass bowls and layer the stewed apples, breadcrumbs and cream - ending with a layer of cream.
- 10Scatter with the chopped hazelnuts and serve.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Peasant Girls in the Mist - Scandinavian Apple and Cream Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (157 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 551.1
- Calories from Fat 300
- Total Fat 33.4 g
- Saturated Fat 19.3 g
- Cholesterol 104.3 mg
- Sodium 29.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 58.5 g
- Protein 2.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: