1/2 Photos of Peasant Bread
7 hrs 40 mins
Crusty outside and moist inside. A great bread for beginners!! So good with soups and stews or as a conatiner for spinach dip!! Allow 2 to 10 hours to make and ferment the starter.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Starter: The water should be at room temperature.
- 2Combine the water and yeast in a small bowl.
- 3Let stand I minute, then stir until yeast is dissolved.
- 4Add the flour.
- 5Stir vigorously for about 100 strokes.
- 6Scrape down the sides of the bowl then cover with a clean towel or plastic wrap.
- 7Place in a warm (75 F) place until mixture is bubbly (2 –10 hours).
- 8Place the starter into a large (6-quart+) bowl.
- 9Dough: Add the water and yeast to starter.
- 10Add 1 cup, of flour and stir until it is well combined.
- 11Add the salt and only enough of the remaining flour to make a thick dough that is difficult to stir.
- 12Turn the sticky dough out on a floured work surface.
- 13Dip your hands in flour then knead the dough by pushing it down and forward with the heel of one hand, then pulling back from the top and folding the dough over with the other.
- 14Gradually add the remaining flour as you knead for 15 minutes.
- 15Dough will be strong and slightly sticky and will spring back when poked.
- 16Shape dough into a ball.
- 17Return dough to the bowl that has been coated with olive oil.
- 18Brush top of dough with a bit of olive oil,.
- 19Cover with a clean damp towel and place in a warm place until doubled in volume.
- 20Deflate the dough, place on lightly floured work surface.
- 21Knead briefly.
- 22Cut dough into 2 equal pieces.
- 23Knead briefly.
- 24Shape each piece into a tight ball.
- 25Place on a greased baking sheet.
- 26Cover with a clean damp towel and put in a warm place until doubled in volume.
- 27Preheat oven to 450 F and place oven racks to center of oven.
- 28Place a pan of water under the rack where the loaves will bake.
- 29Using a sharp knife score the loaves with cuts 1/4- to 1/2-inch deep along the surface.
- 30Place loaves in the hot oven.
- 31Bake for about 20 minutes.
- 32Reduce heat to 400 degrees F and bake another 15 to 20 minutes.
- 33Remove from oven and allow to cool for 1/2 hour.
- 34Brush tops with a bit more olive oil if you wish.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Peasant Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1449 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1333.9
- Calories from Fat 52
- Total Fat 5.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2340.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 275.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.1 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 37.8 g