Recipe by Grace4Gayle
This breads texture is a cross between focaccia and English muffin bread. It's wonderful toasted and is so easy to make because it requires no kneading.
Top Review by KimmieCat1
Great recipe, very delicious. Very easy to make and oh so good. I've been looking for a great Peasant Bread recipe and I found it. Will definately will be making again and again. Thanks Grace4Gayle for a great recipe.
- 1 (2 1/4 teaspoon) package active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water, divided
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
Your choice of topping
- poppy seeds or garlic bread seasoning or parmesan cheese or cinnamon sugar, mixture
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve yeast in 1 cup warm water.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, salt and sugar.
- Add the yeast mixture and remaining 1 cup of warm water; stir until combined.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled. (About 1 hour).
- Stir dough down.
- Divide in half.
- Place each half in a greased 1 quart round casserole or ovenproof bowl.
- Brush tops with melted butter and sprinkle with topping.
- Let rise in a warm place until doubled; about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- Remove from pans to cool.