Recipe by AmandaInOz
From Rick Stein's Mediterranean Escapes. If you cannot find button onions, use small shallots.
- 3 1⁄2 ounces extra virgin olive oil
- 12 button onions, peeled
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 1⁄2 ounces parma ham, thickly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 lb peas (freshly shelled or frozen)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat two tablespoons of the olive oil in a medium-sized pan, add the onions and fry until lightly golden on all sides. Add the water, cover and simmer for five minutes until just tender.
- Meanwhile, chop the parma ham, trimmings or the pancetta into small pieces. Uncover the pan, add the remaining oil, garlic and ham or pancetta and cook for a minute or two. Add the peas, 3/4 teaspoon salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes until the peas are very tender and the flavours have had time to amalgamate.
- Stir in the parsley two minutes before the end of cooking. Serve as a starter or side dish.