Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 mins
It is Diwali in India now, Peas Kachori is a wonderful, easy to prepare and cook dish. Eaten at this time of year to celebrate the FESTIVAL of LIGHT.
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 little cold water
- 1 cup peas
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 green chili pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 inch cube gingerroot, grated
- 1 pinch chili powder
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 pinch asafoetida powder
- In your processor mix the flour and butter to make a fine crumb mixture, add just enough water to bind it together. Allow the dough to rest for 30 minutes.
- To make the filling:-.
- Boil the peas, drain them, grind them roughly, add ginger and fennel seeds.
- In a wok heat 2 tablespoons oil add asafoetida ground peas, chilli powder and coriander leaves, cook for 2 minutes Allow cool.
- Make small balls of dough and roll them flat, one at a time.
- Place 1/2 tablespoons of the pea mixture in the centre of the flattened dough and fold the edges down, make sure that they seal. When you have made the KACHORI, Deep fry them in hot oil. The will rise to the surface when coked.
- Remove them with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Eat hot or cold, serve with mango chutney for a real taste of India.