Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Another old time favourite. Grandma always had lots of different ways to serve vegetables. This is another of her recipes. Hope you will enjoy.
- 12 ounces peas (frozen or fresh)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 scallions, chopped, finely
- 3 celery ribs, chopped, finely
- 1⁄2 cup cream, heavy
- 2 tablespoons French tarragon, fresh, chopped, finely
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, sea, fine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- Cook the peas, do not over cook.
- Remove from heat, drain and reserve until needed.
- Melt the butter and saute the scallions and celery until tender.
- Add the cooked peas to the scallions and celery, mix and stir in the cream and tarragon.
- Cook for 5 minutes, uncovered on low heat, until heated thru.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.
I LOVE your grandma's recipes BJK! And this was no exception! I am not a lover of cooked celery - only in stews! So, I left it out! Other than that this was made as posted, with Creme Fraiche instead of heavy cream. I garnished the finished peas with a frond of tarragon and enjoyed this today with Old English Herb Rub for Fish. Made for the Herb of the Month Club in the French forum and the Magic of herbs in the Photos forum, merci encore ma leeetle petits pois! Tartelette :-)
This was so good! I had only 1 celery rib left. Used 2 teaspoons dried tarragon and 16 ounces of frozen peas that I added to the scallions. I didn`t cook them first! I cut the butter in half. Thanks!!!
My kind of food, vegetables and cream, you can't go wrong. Easily prepared, this was a lovely side, with delicate flavours, and so quickly prepared, it can be enjoyed any night of the week. Thanks BK, I really enjoyed this!