Recipe by catercow
This is Jamaican style peas and rice that I created for a wonderful lunch for our Jamaican day. Very rich and flavorful.
- 1⁄2 cup canned red kidney beans
- 1⁄3 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 2⁄3 cup coconut milk
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄3 onion, minced
- 1⁄3 scallion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2⁄3 cup uncooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain the kidney beans and combine with garlic, water and salt to taste in a saucepan.
- Add the coconut milk, pepper to taste, scallion, onion, thyme and cayenne pepper.
- Boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Then add the rice and stir.
- Return to a boil, cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until all the liquids have been absorbed.