Prep 3 mins
Cook 9 mins
Better than creamed peas and onions with less calories too. From B H & G low cal (1989).
- 1 (16 ounce) packageloose pack frozen peas and pearl onions
- 1⁄4 cup reduced calorie cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 1⁄2 cup herbed croutons
- In a 1 quart microwave safe casserole micro cook peas and onions and 2 tablespoons water, covered on 100% power (high) for 3 to 5 minutes or till just tender.
- Stir in cream cheese, milk, pepper and garlic.
- Cook, covered on high for 2 to 4 minutes or till heated through, stirring twice.
- Sprinkle croutons on top.
These are delicious. I took the chef’s advice by parboiling the veggies and then finishing them in a baked casserole - they were done after about 10 minutes in the oven. Next time, I think I will bump up the sauce ingredients a little - I think the dish would benefit from just a tad more cheesy sauce. But this one's a keeper.
Had a request for a way to cook these other than microwave. I tried them the in the oven tonight, as follows: Par boil the peas and onions, drain, put them in an ovenproof casserole. In a saucepan , melt and mix the cream cheese with the milk, pepper and garlic, over low heat, bring to just below boil, stirring. Pour over the peas and onion, stir lightly. Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes,'til onions are tender. Serve sprinkled with croutons. Turned out very good!!(better than in the microwave, I thought)
A nice, simple,veggie side that I made with Philadelphia Light Spreadable (all you Aussie chefs) This one will turn up again and again because it is so easy and tasty.