1/1 Photo of Peas and Lamb, "bisila Bil La7ma Fil Forn"
2 hrs 15 mins
Maya's Mama's Note:
I loved this dish growing up. It was the only way I was willing to eat peas as a child. I still really enjoy making it and I'm always trying all sorts of variations of it. It's easy to make and don't worry if you don't have all the spices, it will still taste good. This dish is served over plain white rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb frozen peas (you can use fresh peas if you like)
- 1 lb lamb, cubes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 ripe and soft tomatoes
- 1 liter lamb stock (home made or store bought, or stock cubes dissolved in water) or 1 liter chicken stock (home made or store bought, or stock cubes dissolved in water)
- 1 onion, finely chopped (white or yellow)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt (most people would prefer more salt, but I find that this is a good amount for my taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon dry clove
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce (optional)
- 1 cup water (as needed)
- 1Preheat oven to 325°F.
- 2Place onion, garlic and meat in a large oven tray.
- 3Add salt, coriander, cloves, curry powder and pepper.
- 4Mix these ingredients well, so that the meat is coated in the spices, onion and garlic.
- 5Add peas to the tray.
- 6In a blender jug add tomato (cut into 4 or 8), tomato paste, Tabasco and stock. Blend until you get a smooth mixture.
- 7Pour this tomato sauce over the peas and meat, top up with water till the sauce is just covering the peas.
- 8Run a wooden spoon through the pan to mix the ingredients together.
- 9Try to get it so that the meat is spread out more or less uniformly throughout the tray.
- 10Place in the oven for about 2 hours. Check on it every 20 minutes, add water while cooking, if the sauce starts to dry up. The reason you shouldn't add too much at the start is that it may boil over. especially if you are using a shallow dish.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Peas and Lamb, "bisila Bil La7ma Fil Forn"
Serving Size: 1 (372 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 300.4
- Calories from Fat 108
- Total Fat 12.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 60.0 mg
- Sodium 1438.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 11.2 g
- Protein 23.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: