Recipe by Michelle S.
I remember my Grandma making these for family picnics. I like to use rye bread, but any bread will work. This can be salty, so I usually add some water before thickening the sauce. Prep time does not include the overnight refrigeration.
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 5 slices bread
- 1 can Carnation Evaporated Milk
- 2 cans condensed French onion soup
- 2 cans condensed chicken gumbo soup
Directions See How It's Made
- Tear bread into small pieces.
- Add milk and mix WELL.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add meat and knead well.
- (mixture will be quite soft).
- Shape into meatballs and place into a large casserole.
- Blend soups together and pour over meatballs.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Bake covered casserole at 350 degrees for 2 hours.
- You may thicken the sauce to serve as a gravy.