Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Applesauce, but with pears. We enjoy this in the winter. Serve warm or chilled. Freezes well, too!
- 2 lbs soft pears, peeled, cored, and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1⁄2-1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger (not powdered)
- 1⁄4 cup raw sugar (or 2 tablespoons honey)
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1⁄4 cup pear juice or 1⁄4 cup white grape juice or 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 inches piece vanilla pod (slit down one edge with sharp knife lengthwise to release flavor.)
- Place all ingredients in crockpot and simmer on LOW 4-6 hours. Remove vanilla pod piece. Use a hand held immersion blender or potato masher to mash any whole fruit that is remaining.
- Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Yield is estimated.
Loved this twist on traditional Autumn applesauce. Recommend using 1/2 Tbs. fresh grated ginger. I used the full Tbs. and it was too much. Didn't spend $$ on vanilla pods, so I used 1 tsp. of vanilla extract. Maybe could have used a little more. Also used cardamom pods (and fished them out before mashing the fruit), and that turned out fine. SO TASTY when warm. Thanks for sharing!