Recipe by COOKGIRl
Applesauce, but with pears. We enjoy this in the winter. Serve warm or chilled. Freezes well, too!
Top Review by talk2mimisue
Loved this twist on traditional Autumn applesauce. Recommend using 1/2 Tbs. fresh grated ginger. I used the full Tbs. and it was too much. Didn't spend $$ on vanilla pods, so I used 1 tsp. of vanilla extract. Maybe could have used a little more. Also used cardamom pods (and fished them out before mashing the fruit), and that turned out fine. SO TASTY when warm. Thanks for sharing!
- 2 lbs soft pears, peeled, cored, and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1⁄2-1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger (not powdered)
- 1⁄4 cup raw sugar (or 2 tablespoons honey)
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1⁄4 cup pear juice or 1⁄4 cup white grape juice or 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 inches piece vanilla pod (slit down one edge with sharp knife lengthwise to release flavor.)