We often serve this after dinner in place of a cheese course. I don't remember for certain, but I think it's a Martha recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix sugar and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
- Saute butter and maple syrup in a large pan, and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat. Add nuts and toss to coat.
- Transfer nuts to a rimmed baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with sugar mixture. Toss to coat.
- Toast in oven until fragrant, about 7 minutes.
- Let nuts cool completely on sheet.
- To serve, arrange candied nuts, pear wedges and gorgonzola on a serving platter.