Recipe by French Tart
A delicious low fat and EASY dessert to impress! A wonderful mix of ingredients that is great served with home-made ice cream or creme fraiche. These pears cook quite happily in the microwave - as well as the more conventional baking or stove top method too. A recipe I devised for our Bed & Brekafast last Autumn, after a huge harvest of pears from our garden and whilst also trying to find a use for numerous opened packets of dried fruits and nuts!!
Top Review by ladypit
Tried this tonight as part of our family Valentine's meal. While we thought it was ok, it wasn't terribly impressive. Something about the cranberries seemed odd to us, and the maple flavor was not as prominent as we would have liked. That said, it was a fine dessert. I think I'll explore other ways of cooking pears. Thanks so much for a fun one to try! Tagged and reviewed for the "I recommend" game.
- 4 ripe pears, peeled, cored & halved
- 1 tablespoon dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 ounces pecan nuts, broken roughly
- ice cream or creme fraiche, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Microwave method:.
- Place the peeled, cored and halved pears into a microwaveable dish. Place them cut side down.
- Scatter the dried cranberries over the pears.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of the maple syrup over the pears & cranberries & cover with microwaveable cling film.
- Microwave on High for 3 minutes until softened, stirring half way through.
- Uncover and leave to cool off slightly for a few minutes.
- Stir the pecan nuts through the syrup.
- Spoon into serving dishes making sure EVERYONE gets some nutty syrup & cranberries! (1 pear - 2 halves per person!).
- Drizzle over the remaining maple syrup.
- Serve with ice cream or creme fraiche. Yoghurt is nice with this dessert too.
- Oven baking method:.
- Pre-heat oven to 200 C or 400°F.
- Follow recipe as above, making sure the dish is oven proof!
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until pears are soft but still holding their shape.
- Mix in nuts as before and serve as before.
- (These can also be cooked in a deep frying pan, skillet or wok on top of the stove with a lid placed over them; Bring them to a slow boil and then simmer gently for about 30 - 45 minutes. Serve as before.).