A delicious low fat and EASY dessert to impress! A wonderful mix of ingredients that is great served with home-made ice cream or creme fraiche. These pears cook quite happily in the microwave - as well as the more conventional baking or stove top method too. A recipe I devised for our Bed & Brekafast last Autumn, after a huge harvest of pears from our garden and whilst also trying to find a use for numerous opened packets of dried fruits and nuts!!
- Microwave method:.
- Place the peeled, cored and halved pears into a microwaveable dish. Place them cut side down.
- Scatter the dried cranberries over the pears.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of the maple syrup over the pears & cranberries & cover with microwaveable cling film.
- Microwave on High for 3 minutes until softened, stirring half way through.
- Uncover and leave to cool off slightly for a few minutes.
- Stir the pecan nuts through the syrup.
- Spoon into serving dishes making sure EVERYONE gets some nutty syrup & cranberries! (1 pear - 2 halves per person!).
- Drizzle over the remaining maple syrup.
- Serve with ice cream or creme fraiche. Yoghurt is nice with this dessert too.
- Oven baking method:.
- Pre-heat oven to 200 C or 400°F.
- Follow recipe as above, making sure the dish is oven proof!
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until pears are soft but still holding their shape.
- Mix in nuts as before and serve as before.
- (These can also be cooked in a deep frying pan, skillet or wok on top of the stove with a lid placed over them; Bring them to a slow boil and then simmer gently for about 30 - 45 minutes. Serve as before.).