Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This can be a dessert on its own, a side for another dessert, a condiment for a cake or just a little treat. You can easily make this in advance and keep it in the fridge for a week (if the stay that long). I make much more of the white wine, because it is great on its own.
- 4 pears (firm)
- 500 ml white wine
- 100 g sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, cut lenghtwise
- 1 cinnamon stick (about 2 inches)
- 2 cloves
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 lemon, zest of
- Combine white wine, sugar, spices and peel of lemon in a suited pot.
- Heat up but do not let it boil.
- Meanwhile put the lemon juice into a bowl.
- Peel the pears and quarter them lenghtwise. Core them. Put them into the bowl with lemon juice to avoid browning.
- After you have prepared all pears this way add them and the lemon juice to the wine mixture.
- Poach the pears for about 10 - 15 minutes, but don't let them boil. The pears should be soft, but still a bit firm at the end.
- Put the pears into a suited preserving jar and cover them with white wine brew. Do not remove the spices.
- Store them in the fridge for at least 12 hours to blend all the flavors.
- NOTE: there might be more white wine brew than you need. Put it in the fridge and enjoy it cold with a bit of ice and a lemon wedge.
- SERVING: Serve the pears at room tempearture with a dollop of your favorite ice cream for an easy dessert. Add some of the white wine brew to it.
- NOTE: try these pears also in an easy pear cake or tarte. The peares will be soft and their flavor will blend into the cake and will make it moist.
- Cooking time does not include time for cooling.