1/1 Photo of Pears in Red Wine Sauce
Adopted from Steam It, the way nature intended cookbook. My girlfriend is an excellent cook. She cooks all types of ethnic foods, specializing in italian, indian, and homegrown. She does not like to bake but found this cookbook and is such a happy camper. Steaming foods is so much better for us but I never knew to steam desserts such as these. This is a to die for delectable dessert for 1, 2, or company. It is elegant on theplate and such a simple prep, it belies the end product. Please enjoy. cooking time does not include chill time, times overlap with prep I gave myself an hour and was good with that and had time to prep other things for dinner while waiting.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1bring a pan of water to a boil.(large enough to put your steamer in or a casserole dish).
- 2Meanwhile put the orange rind, juice, honey, wine, cinnamon stick, apple pie spice, vanilla bean and clove and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- 3Remove from heat.
- 4Peel pears, leaving stem intact, and cut off a small piece rom the bottom so the poears can stand up.
- 5Put into heatproof bowl or casserole dish and pour wine mixture over them.
- 6Cover the bowl or dish with tin foil and tie with kitchen string.
- 7Put the bowl in the steamer and cover with a tight fitting lid. Set the steamer over hte pan and steam for 35-40 min, until the pears are tender.
- 8Remove the pan from the steamer and let cool completely.
- 9Transfer to a serving dish standing upright.
- 10Remove the cinnamon stick, clove, vanilla bean from the wine mixture and bring to a nboil and cook til reduced by 1/2.
- 11Put the arrowroot or flour into the wine sauce and simmer gently, will make a paste. Remove from pan and let cool.
- 12Pour the wine sauce over the pears and chill for at least 3 hours.
- 13Top with whipped cream.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pears in Red Wine Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (352 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 260.3
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 5.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.9 g
- Sugars 38.9 g
- Protein 1.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
apple pie spice