Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
From the Sopranos Family Cookbook.
- 6 bosc pears (not too ripe) or 6 Anjou pears (not too ripe)
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 slices lemon zest, about 2 inches long
- 1 vanilla bean
- Scoop out the core and the seeds of the pear with a melon baller or demitasse spoon.
- In a saucepan large enough to hold all of the pears upright bring the wine, water, sugar, lemon zest and vanilla bean to a simmer over medium heat. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Add the pears and reduce heat to low. Cover and cook, turning the pears once for 20 minutes (or until they're tender when pierced with a small knife).
- Remove pears and place on a serving dish. Turn heat on medium high and cook until syrup is golden and thickened (about 10 minutes).
- Pour syrup over pears and let cool slightly. Cover and chill before serving.