Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
A side dish that can serves as a meal. The barley and carrots go well together. Assemble ahead of time to the cooking stage.
- 1 cup water
- 2⁄3 cup pearl barley
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 carrots, grated
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 4 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- Boil water, add barley and simmer until barley is cooked.
- Mix next 6 ingredients with barley.
- Grease 1 1/2 quart casserole with 1 Tbs butter.
- Sprinkle with 2 Tbs bread crumbs.
- Add carrot/barley mixture.
- Top with remaining bread crumbs and butter.
- Bake at 375 F for 40 minutes.