Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
My wife came up with this recipe to use up leftover rice.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 cups cooked rice, cooled
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon curry powder, yellow (Pearl swears by Spice Island)
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons chicken-flavored vegetarian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium eggs, slightly beaten (optional, recipe is vegan if ommitted)
- Heat oil in medium pan. Cook frozen vegetables, stirring often, for about 2 minutes. Gently stir in rice and raisins (you don't want to mash up the rice, just mix the ingredients). Stir in curry powder.
- Add orange juice and soy sauce.
- Stir in "chicken" flavoring, salt and pepper.
- If desired, you may stir in the eggs and stir occasionally for 3-5 minutes.
Good dish! We used left over veggies we had on hand, and it came out very good! Next time will cook a tad longer, as it was moister than we would prefer but the flavors were fantastic!
I cheated on this recipe and lightly cooked the veggies in the micro to thaw them. Added the veggies with the rice (leftover sticky rice) to a pan, and heated through. Used my homemade curry powder. I was concerned the rice would have an overly orange taste, but it was subtle and delicious. Omitted the salt and used salt-free powdered "chicken" broth from the natural food store. Next time I will make this using short grain brown rice. Forgot to add the egg! Ooops!