Prep 45 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A variation that combines Irish, Hungarian and Island style stews.
- 2 lbs beef stew meat
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 4 cups water
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (2 ounce) package onion soup mix
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 8 carrots
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 small red potatoes, cubed
- 1 (16 ounce) can cut green beans
- 4 Portuguese chourico (optional)
- In a large stew pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil.
- Dredge the stem meat in the flour and cook until well browned.
- Add water slowly, making sure to stir up any beef coating that has stuck to the bottom (adds flavor!).
- Stir in the all the remaining ingredients except the green beans.
- Cook to boiling over medium heat. Cover, reduce heat to simmer for 2-3 hours until meat is tender.
- Add green beans and continue simmering for 15 minutes.