Recipe by FLUFFSTER
Another from Isaac Haye's cookbook. This is so good! There's nothing better than soul food! Hope you try it, and hope you like it!
- 1 lb ground turkey or 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal, plus additional
- self-rising cornmeal, for dusting pan
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
- 8 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Grease a 13x9-inch baking pan and sprinkle with cornmeal. Place the pan in the oven until cornmeal browns, 5 to 10 minutes.Set pan aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown meat, breaking it up with your spoon until crumbled, as it cooks. Drain off the fat from the meat.
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, eggs, corn, milk, and the oil.
- Spread half of the cornmeal batter over the bottom of the prepared pan and sprinkle evenly with the meat. Layer onions, peppers, and cheese on top. Cover with remaining batter.
- Bake the casserole until top is golden brown, about 45 minutes. Let cool before eating.