Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I found this delicious recipe on a bag of pearled onions. It is fabulously rich and easy and a total crowd pleaser! I added about 3/4 of a cup of chopped cooked ham to the recipe (along with the cream) with fantastic results. I plan on trying it with left over grilled chicken as well.
- 1 lb penne
- 10 ounces white pearl onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (more or less, to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed hot red pepper flakes or 4 drops Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup vodka
- 16 ounces chopped tomatoes (preferably organic)
- 1 cup cream (or half and half)
- ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3⁄4 of a cup of chopped cooked ham (optional)
- Cook dry penne in a large pot until al dente.
- Halve onions and sauté in olive oil with garlic and red pepper flakes over medium heat. When onions are translucent, add vodka and cook over moderately-high heat for 4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cook to reduce liquid about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and add cream. Let simmer for about 5 minutes, then mix in cooked penne.
- Sprinkle Parmesan over top and serve immediately.
Great recipe! I did this sauce with chicken and it was very tasty! I put a tad to much red pepper flakes in it so it was a bit too hot for me but my hubby thought it was perfect! 5 stars!
This was a nice pasta dish. DH and I had it for lunch awhile back. We used the cooked ham option. I thought it was pretty easy to make. Next time, I might omit the ham (personal preference). While this recipe is good, I prefer one of my friends', which is similar and uses cilantro, which gives the dish a more flavorful taste. Thank you for posting, we enjoyed this.
Very nice pasta dish! I used fusilli pasta, half and half and a large chopped sweet onion. I really wanted to use pearl onions but couldn't find any after looking at 3 stores! I used the pepper flakes option and skipped the ham although I can see how it would taste good in this. This turned out very zippy from the vodka infused onions and chile flakes. It wasn't saucy enough for me but it was still great!