Recipe by NcMysteryShopper
I found this delicious recipe on a bag of pearled onions. It is fabulously rich and easy and a total crowd pleaser! I added about 3/4 of a cup of chopped cooked ham to the recipe (along with the cream) with fantastic results. I plan on trying it with left over grilled chicken as well.
Top Review by Sweetness of Rose
Great recipe! I did this sauce with chicken and it was very tasty! I put a tad to much red pepper flakes in it so it was a bit too hot for me but my hubby thought it was perfect! 5 stars!
- 1 lb penne
- 10 ounces white pearl onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (more or less, to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed hot red pepper flakes or 4 drops Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup vodka
- 16 ounces chopped tomatoes (preferably organic)
- 1 cup cream (or half and half)
- ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3⁄4 of a cup of chopped cooked ham (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook dry penne in a large pot until al dente.
- Halve onions and sauté in olive oil with garlic and red pepper flakes over medium heat. When onions are translucent, add vodka and cook over moderately-high heat for 4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cook to reduce liquid about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and add cream. Let simmer for about 5 minutes, then mix in cooked penne.
- Sprinkle Parmesan over top and serve immediately.