Recipe by COOKGIRl
Found this recipe today on the back of a package of pearl onions. I haven't had the opportunity to try this yet but I don't think you can go wrong with delicious onions in a cream sauce. I would be interested when I do have the time to test this recipe in substituting whipping cream for part of the milk.
- 10 ounces white pearl onions (gold, red or white)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk, heated until very hot, but NOT boiling (or 1 1/2 cups part milk and whipping cream)
- 2 tablespoons cream sherry or 2 tablespoons dry white wine or 2 tablespoons fresh stock
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 dash freshly ground nutmeg
- white pepper
- chopped fresh parsley (to garnish)
- 3⁄4 cup fresh green peas (optional) or 3⁄4 cup frozen green pea (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In large heat proof bowl, pour boiling water over onions to loosed papery skin. Let stand 10 minutes then drain. Carefully cut off very end of each *pearl onion and slip off the skin.
- *Cut the pearl onions in half if you wish.
- Cream Sauce::.
- Melt butter over medium heat then add flour stirring with wire whisk constantly until all butter is absorded.
- Turn heat down to low and add milk slowly (or milk/whipping cream), continuing to stir constantly with wire whisk to break up lumps. Add sherry, (or substitute), Tabasco sauce, nutmeg, white pepper and salt. Fold in cooked onions and mix well.
- Just prior to serving, garnish with fresh parsley.
- Variation: When folding in cooked pearl onion add 3/4 cup fresh or frozen (defrosted) green peas.