Recipe by shelbyrose
This side dish goes great with turkey or ham. It is a make ahead recipe for two separate casseroles that can be frozen until ready to bake. Perfect addition to a holiday meal. If baking from frozen, allow time to defrost (not reflected in cook time).
Top Review by Manami
Hello shelbyrose, 1 lb of frozen pearl onions is what we used, kicked-it-up a notch by adding salt, black grnd pepper, & a sprinkling of crushed red pepper. Used a spicy cheddar, mild cheddar combination. It is a great dish as is, but for "our tastes" I just added the above. I love onions and mushrooms, and this just gives us a new way to prepare them! Thank you muchly(sp?) for posting, Diane :)
- 24 white pearl onions
- 1 cup water
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 10 tablespoons butter or 10 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup soft breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan combine the onions, water and salt.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain.
- Transfer to two (2) greased 1 quart baking pans; set aside.
- In a skillet, saute mushrooms in 4 tablespoons butter and lemon juice.
- In a small saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter; stir in flour until smooth.
- Gradually add milk.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir into mushroom mixture.
- Pour over each onion casserole, dividing equally.
- Melt the remaining butter.
- Add cheese and bread crumbs; toss to coat.
- Sprinkle over each casserole.
- Cover and freeze, if desired, for up to 3 months.
- TO USE FROZEN CASSEROLE: Thaw in the refrigerator 8 hours.
- Cover and bake in a 375 degree oven 15 minutes.
- Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes or until golden brown.