Recipe by EdsGirlAngie
This is a tangy-sweet relish, perfect with those holiday entrees. Sherry, honey, and almonds round out this rich, tasty dish.
- 2 lbs white pearl onions
- 1 cup sherry wine
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme (or fresh)
- 4 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds, to taste
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the pearl onions by boiling in salted water for 3 minutes.
- Drain, cool slightly, then cut off the root ends and squeeze onions out of their skins.
- Combine the onions with sherry, raisins, water, honey, butter and thyme in a heavy skillet.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover.
- Simmer until the liquid evaporates and the mixture begins to caramelize, about 45 minutes.
- Check periodically and stir often.
- Stir in vinegar and almonds; season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve.