Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This wonderful, rich and sweet, yet also fruity tarte was my birthday cake this year. It is sooo yummy and perfect for autumn. Serving this at the end of a meal is sure to impress even the pickiest guest. It looks like a ton of work, but really its quite straight forward.
For the dough
- 100 g butter, softened
- 50 g sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 150 g flour
- 2 tablespoons water, ice cold
For the marzipan filling
- 150 g marzipan paste, coarsely grated
- 75 g butter
- 75 g sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 75 g almonds, ground
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch or 2 tablespoons potato starch
For the pear walnut topping
- 75 g walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 pears, peeled, cored and sliced
For the Glaze
- 75 g apricot jam
- For the dough combine butter, sugar and salt using the dough hooks of your hand mixer.
- Knead in the egg yolk. Add flour and water and knead into a smooth dough. Refrigerate wrapped into cling film for 1 hour.
- For the marzipane filling mix together marzipane, butter and sugar using the whisks of your hand mixer for 5 minutes. Add the egg and the egg white and mix in well.
- Add almonds and starch and beat in quickly.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to a round of about 28 cm/11 inches. Place in a greased tarte pan of 26 cm/10 inch in diameter. Prick the bottom several times with a fork.
- Pour the marzipane cream on top and smooth it down with a spoon. Sprinkle the walnuts over it and place the pear slices on top of that. Lightly press them into the marzipane filling.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 200°C/400°F on the second lowest rack for 40-45 minutes.
- While the tarte is still hot, bring the apricot jam to a boil and spread it over the tarte.
- Allow to cool in the pan.