Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is so easy to make and truly delicious.
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 425 g pears (canned in syrup)
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 125 g unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Lightly grease a 21x14x7cm loaf tin and line base with baking paper.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the base.
- Drain the pears and reserve the syrup. Cut the pears in half and arrange, cut side down over the base of the tin.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl and make a well in the centre.
- Melt the butter and caster sugar in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from heat and combine with reserved syrup and eggs.
- Pour into the flour and stir with a wooden spoon until combined - do not over mix.
- Spoon over the pears and smooth the surface.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Leave in the tin for 15 min before turning on a wire rack to cool.