1/2 Photos of Pear Tarte - Medieval Pear Pie
I have translated this from The English Huswife by Gervase Markham 1615 AD. It's unusual in that before this time pies were almost always made with a single crust while this one has two. Often a two crusted pie was called a coffin in that time period. Rosewater can be found in most healthfood stores or Middle Eastern groceries in the US.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups dry white wine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 -5 whole cloves
- 3 lbs firm ripe pears, bosc work well
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon rose water
- double crust pie crust
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Combine wine and 1 cup sugar in large heavy pot over medium heat.
- 3Stir until sugar dissolved.
- 4Add cinnamon and cloves.
- 5Peel pears, cut in half from top to bottom and remove core.
- 6Add pears to wine mixture and cook for about 5-7 minutes or until pears are just tender.
- 7Remove pears from syrup.
- 8Turn up heat on wine and bring to a rolling boil.
- 9Place bottom crust into pie pan.
- 10Top with sliced pears.
- 11Sprinkle pears with ¼ Cup sugar.
- 12Remove spices from wine syrup.
- 13Add 1 Tsp rose water to wine syrup mix well.
- 14Take 1/3 C of wine syrup and pour over pears.
- 15Place top crust on pie sealing edges by folding crust over edge of the bottom crust and pressing.
- 16Cut vent hole into center of pie and place pie on center rack in oven.
- 17Bake for 20 minutes then remove from oven.
- 18Melt 1 Tbsp butter and ½ tsp rose water then brush this mixture on top of pie.
- 19Sprinkle with tablespoon of sugar and return to oven.
- 20Bake for another 20 minutes or until pie is golden brown.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pear Tarte - Medieval Pear Pie
Serving Size: 1 (294 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 311.8
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 3.8 mg
- Sodium 16.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 50.3 g
- Protein 0.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: