Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Serve these warm or cold, but do serve them freshly baked. (If you do want to eat them later zap in the microwave for about 10-15 seconds to refresh.) I like them just the way they are but you could spread with some low fat spread and honey or jam.
- 75 g whole wheat flour (wholemeal flour)
- 50 g plain flour
- 15 ml baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 50 g natural bran
- 50 g reduced fat margarine
- 50 g light brown sugar (soft)
- 1 egg
- 200 ml skim milk
- 50 g dried pears, chopped (easy way is to use a kitchen scissors)
- 50 g golden raisins (sultanas)
- Preheat oven to 200 deg C/400 deg F/Gas 6. Line a 12 muffin tin with muffin cases or lightly coat with spray oil.
- Sift together the flours, baking powder and salt. Mix in the bran.
- Put the spread in a micro-safe jug then gently melt. Now mix in the sugar, egg and milk then pour over the dry ingredients.
- Gently fold in the liquid but only enough to combine. Do not over mix, the mix should look quite lumpy.
- Fold in pears and golden raisins (sultanas). Spoon mixture into prepared tins.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until well risen and golden. Cool on a wire rack.