1 hr 25 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 vanilla beans, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 fluid ounces heavy whipping cream
- 2 fluid ounces water
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate or 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 lbs Anjou pears, peeled,cored,cut into ¾ inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup toasted hazelnuts
- 12 vanilla wafer cookies
- 10 sheets phyllo dough
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- vanilla ice cream
- fresh mint sprig
- 1Combine the sugar and vanilla in a food processor and blend until the beans are very finely chopped.
- 2Sift the vanilla sugar into a bowl and discard the contents of the sieve; cover and set aside.
- 3Combine the cream, water, and 3 tablespoons of the vanilla sugar in a saucepan.
- 4Stir until the sugar dissolves and the mixture comes to a boil.
- 5Remove from the heat, add the chocolate, and whisk until smooth.
- 6Whisk in the brandy.
- 7Mix ½ cup of the vanilla sugar and cornstarch in a bowl.
- 8Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet, then add the pears and sauté until tender and golden.
- 9Sprinkle the cornstarch mixture over the pears and stir to blend.
- 10Simmer until the juices are very thick, stirring often.
- 11Remove from the heat, mix in the lemon juice, and let cool.
- 12Finely grind the nuts, cookies, and 2 tablespoons of the vanilla sugar in the food processor; transfer to a small bowl.
- 13Butter a baking sheet and place a phyllo sheet on a work surface.
- 14Brush the phyllo with butter, top with a second phyllo sheet, and brush again with butter.
- 15Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons of the nut mixture.
- 16Repeat layering with 6 more phyllo sheets, buttering and sprinkling each with 3 tablespoons of the nut mixture.
- 17Top with another phyllo sheet and brush with butter.
- 18Top with another phyllo sheet (for a total of 10 sheets) and brush with butter.
- 19Starting 2 inches from the long side and 2½ inches from the short side, spoon the filling in a 3-inch-wide and 12-inch-long log parallel to one of the long sides.
- 20Fold the short sides over the filling and unsalted butter the folded edges.
- 21Roll up the strudel lengthwise, enclosing the filling, and transfer to the greased baking sheet.
- 22Brush the strudel thoroughly with butter.
- 23Preheat your oven to 375°F and bake the strudel until golden brown, about 45 minutes.
- 24Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting with a serrated knife into crosswise sections.
- 25Spoon warm chocolate sauce onto each serving plate and place the strudel atop the sauce.
- 26Place a scoop of ice cream alongside, garnish with mint, and serve.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pear Strudel with Chocolate Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (258 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 628.2
- Calories from Fat 356
- Total Fat 39.6 g
- Saturated Fat 19.4 g
- Cholesterol 78.8 mg
- Sodium 150.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 36.7 g
- Protein 4.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: