Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
A delicious salad for company. Originally published in the Chicago Tribune several years ago.
Make and share this Pear & Stilton Salad with Port Dressing & Toasted Walnuts recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 1⁄2 cups port wine
- 6 cups assorted young greens, torn up
- 2 pears, peeled,cored,sliced
- 6 tablespoons crumbled Stilton cheese (or other blue cheese)
- 2 shallots, sliced (1/4 C)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Toast walnuts in heavy saucepan on med heat.
- Set aside.
- Pour port into same pan nuts were toasted in.
- Boil on med high; simmer to reduce by half its volume.
- Remove from heat& allow to cool.
- Distribute 1 1/2 C greens on each of 4 plates.
- Arrange pear slices over.
- Sprinkle 1 1/2 T cheese on each.
- For dressing: Puree reduced port, shallots, garlic, mustard, vinegar to smooth in blender.
- Pour over salads.
- Top with nuts.
This is a very very good recipe! Even though it breaks my heart to use so much valuable port in this dressing, it does not go wasted, the dressing really is outstanding. And the salad ingredients compliment each other perfectly. I used mixed spinach and arugula leaves. If ripe pears are not available, I would recommend using canned ones, they must be sweet for this one.
This was delicious! Thank you for an excellent recipe.