Prep 16 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Another good recipe from the Live Longer cookbook. The five-hour cook time is freeze time.
- 3 medium ripe pears, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan, bring the pears, water, lemon juice, sugars, and bay leaf to a boil over moderate heat. Lower heat and simmer, uncovered, for 25 minutes or until the pears are very tender. Let cool then remove and discard the bay leaf and stir in the vanilla.
- Transfer mixture to a food processor (or blender) and whirl for 1 minute or until pureed. Pour into an 8x8x2 pan, cover with plastic wrap and freeze for 2 hours until the center is almost frozen. Remove the mixture from the freezer and beat until smooth. Return to the freezer for 45 minutes and beat again until smooth. Freeze 2-3 hours more or until firm.
Fantastic! I did play with this though. I didn't heat it. I used an ice cream maker. I decreased the lemon to 2 TBSP and added 1 cup of Champagne (instead of the water, vanilla and extra lemon), and skipped the bay leaf. With all the alcohol, it holds up really well in the freezer (soft for days)!