1/4 Photos of Pear, Roquefort and Rosemary French Galettes - Tartelettes
French Tart's Note:
These wonderful little tartelettes are made from a combination of ripe, sweet pears with tangy, sharp Roquefort blue cheese and aromatic rosemary.They make an excellent and very elegant starter; they are also wonderful if served as a light luncheon dish, with salads and chutney or pickles. The galettes can be assembled several hours in advance - or even the night before - then chilled until you are ready to bake and serve them. I have stipulated shortcrust pastry - but puff pastry can also be used.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 egg whites, whisked until frothy
- 250 g Roquefort cheese
- 1 tablespoon creme fraiche
- 450 g shortcrust pastry
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary leaf
- 50 g salted butter
- 2 large pears, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- extra rosemary (to garnish)
- 2 egg yolks, beaten with 1 tablespoon of milk
- fresh ground pepper
- 1Put the blue cheese into a bowl and lightly crush or mash it. Add the whisked egg whites and the creme fraiche.
- 2Add salt and black pepper to taste and mix it to a coarse paste.
- 3Set aside and then chill it.
- 4Roll out the pre-prepared shortcrust or puff pastry. Using a plain or fluted 5" cutter, cut out four circles.
- 5Put them on a lightly greased baking sheet and prick them all over with a fork.
- 6Carefully spread the chilled blue cheese mixture all over them, leaving a border of about 1/2" to 3/4".Then sprinkle them with the finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves & store in the fridge.
- 7Pre-heat the oven to 220C/400F/Gas 6.
- 8Melt the butter in a shallow large pan & then add the pear slices, and about 3-4 tablespoons of water.
- 9Cook gently for about 6-8 minutes until the pears are tender but still holding their shape. Allow to cool.
- 10Arrange the pears over the chilled galettes in neatly overlapping circles and brush with a little melted butter.
- 11Sprinkle over the cumin seeds and a few extra rosemary leaves, season with salt and pepper and bring the edges of the pastry up and over the edge of the pears, to form a loose crust.
- 12Brush the tops of the galettes & the pastry with the beaten egg yolks & milk mixture.
- 13Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- 14Cool the galettes slightly before serving with salads, pickles or chutney.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pear, Roquefort and Rosemary French Galettes - Tartelettes
Serving Size: 1 (331 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 963.2
- Calories from Fat 608
- Total Fat 67.6 g
- Saturated Fat 28.7 g
- Cholesterol 171.2 mg
- Sodium 1796.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
- Sugars 11.6 g
- Protein 23.6 g