Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This elegant looking dessert, is perfect for when you get unexpected company. We love puff pastry, it is quick and easy to use, tastes amazing and is very easy to play with. This recipe is a play on strawberry rhubarb pie and is certainly company worthy. We hope that you will enjoy this delicious treat with ice cream, whipped cream or drizzled with creme anglaise or clotted cream.
- 3 pears, fresh, firm, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 cup strawberry, small, fresh, halved
- 1⁄2 cup rhubarb, fresh, finely sliced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lime zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon, Saigon
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- vanilla sugar (President Choice Sugar & Vanilla Grind Blend, garnish)
- powdered sugar (garnish)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Use parchment paper on cookie sheet.
- Start to prepare your fruit.
- Peel, core and slice your pears.
- Wash your berries and cut in halve.
- Wash and slice your rhubarb, very thin.
- Saute pears and rhubarb in butter for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat to cool.
- Add lime zest, sugar and cinnamon, mix gently.
- Now add the fresh strawberries gently into the mix.
- Roll out the pastry to make 12 x 10” rectangle, on a floured surface.
- If necessary, drain the cooled fruit.
- Place the fruit in the middle of the pastry, horizontally, starting within ½ inch of the top and bottom edges.
- Brush the melted butter on the edges of the pastry and fold over fruit.
- Place seam side down on prepared cookie sheet.
- Slash the top of the strudel every 2 inches.
- Brush the strudel with the remaining melted butter and sprinkle on vanilla sugar.
- Bake in a 425 degree oven for 30 – 35 minutes, until puffed and golden brown.
- Allow to cool to room temperature and sprinkle with powdered sugar before cutting.
- Serve plain or with ice cream, whipped cream, Crème Anglais or fresh clotted cream.