Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Try to leave this for 2 months to age-great tart filling or served warm with whipped cream.
- 10 cups peeled cored and chopped pears
- 1 cup dark raisin
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dried apricot
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 1 orange, juice and zest of
- 1⁄2 cup lightly packed golden brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pickling salt
- 1 cup blanched slivered almonds
- 1⁄4 cup port wine
- Combine the raisins, apricots, juices and rinds of lemon and orange, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and salt in a large stainless steel or enamel saucepan.
- Mix well, add pears and bring to a boil.
- Boil gently, covered for 30 min-stir occasionally.
- Uncover mixture and boil until thick, around 15 min-stirring frequently.
- Stir in almonds and port wine, and stir/boil another 5 min.
- Ladle into clean hot jars leaving 1/2 inch head space.
- Seal and process 20 minutes in a boiling water bath at altitudes up to 1000 feet.