Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Makes about 4 cups (recipe can easily be doubled). I found this recipe at http://cookingwithamy.blogspot.com/2007/09/pear-pecorino-potato-soup-recipe.html. I have used canned pears (15.25 oz) in their own juice. Once, I used the juice in place of some of the water and it threw off the balance. This recipe perfectly balances the savory cheese/milk and sweet pear as is.
- Peel and chop the potatoes (medium to large, this is important, if they are too big you'll need a bit more water or you'll have mashed potatos) into thumb-sized chunks. Peel, core and chop the pear. Grate the cheese.
- Add pear and potato to saucepan and cover with water and broth. Simmer until potatoes are soft, about 15 minutes.
- Add the cheese and stir until fully melted.
- Add the milk and a few grinds of pepper.
- Puree in blender in batches, until thick and creamy. Taste and season to taste.