Recipe by Kerfuffle-Upon-Wincle
Savory, and sweet from the pears! From Taste of Home's Facebook page, January 23, 2012 -- Originally from Quick Cooking November/December 2005!
- 1 refrigerated pie pastry (9-inch)
- 1⁄2 lb bulk hot Italian sausage
- 1⁄3 cup sweet onion (chopped)
- 1 medium pear, sliced
- 1⁄3 cup pecans (chopped and toasted)
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 ounces shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese (1 cup)
- 8 pecan halves
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven at 350°F.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry. Trim pastry to 1/2 inches beyond edge of pie plate; flute edges.
- In a medium-hot iron skillet, toast pecans until fragrant ~ be careful not to burn them!.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Arrange pear slices in crust.
- Top with sausage.
- Sprinkle with pecans.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, salt, thyme and nutmeg.
- Stir in cheese.
- Pour mixture over sausage.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean and crust is golden brown. Cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent over-browning, if necessary.
- Garnish with pecan halves. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing. Yield: 8 servings.