Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Lovely, rich, sweet-savory vegetarian side dish, mild and subtle. I enjoyed this at the wonderful Tre Trattoria restaurant in San Antonio, and "copycatted"!
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup yellow sweet onion, chopped finely
- 1 1⁄2 cups arborio rice
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth, if you prefer)
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 3 teaspoons sea salt
- 3 teaspoons black truffle oil (optional)
- 2 semi-ripe bartlett pears, peeled and chopped
- 3⁄4 cup parmegiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup hazelnuts, chopped finely and toasted
- Heat butter and oil, and saute' onion until soft.
- Add rice and salt, and stir until coated with oil.
- Add broth and wine slowly, letting liquid absorb before adding more. You may end up needing more liquid,.
- When rice is tender and the last of the liquid has been absorbed, stir in pears and truffle oil.
- Turn off heat, and stir in cheese and hazelnuts. Blend until smooth.