Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Underripe pears or Grannny Smith apples are best -- they have drier flesh, like a quince. In fact, this is my default recipe for underripe fruit (especially homegorwn). Great with roast or grilled meats, especially fatty ones like pork or goose. From a cookbook called Salsas, Sambals, Chutneys and Chow Chows.
- 4 pears or 4 quinces
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 1 tablespoon minced red chili peppers or 1 tablespoon green chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- Grate or shred the pears and combine with salt in a medium bowl. Let stand for 1/2 hour, then squeeze out excess liquid.
- Combine with all remaining ingredients and mix well. The sambal will keep, covered and refrigerated, for 1 week.